Steampunk Altered Book

Several months ago I picked up a couple of encyclopedias from a consignment thrift store that was closing down. A couple of weeks ago I was watching a video by Kim Reed on YouTube and I was struck with inspiration on what to do with one of my books.  Here is a video I did a few days ago explaining my Graphic 45 paper haul and the details of the paper and their use in the book.

Yesterday I started work on the cover. Boy it was hard work using that Xacto knife

step 1

Here is where I am today. I progressed much faster when I remembered I have a Dremel tool and can drill out all that stuff a lot easier lol. I have placed a piece of light-weight chipboard behind the page and poked holes to put the brads through to trial-fit the gears. Two of the gears have a larger center hole and cause the gear to flop out of position. I need to figure out a way to stop that so the gears will maintain their alignment so they can spin the next one in line.

step2

Hope this inspires you to create something steampunk. Keep checking back for my progression on this book.

Altered Book Project Spread Two

Here is the next set of pages in the book I am altering. My book’s theme is color so this page was for yellow.

IMG_4923

After putting down gesso I used some paint at the bottom of the page and sprayed it with water to get the drippage. Next I used Faber-Castell Gelatos to make the “humps” using the edge of a scalloped paper as my template. The half circle parts on the edge are cut outs from some fun paper bags I found at a store that I thought would make great book covers. These bits came from the sides of the bag where the folds were. I didn’t want to waste any part of the paper. The Bliss word came from a packet of die cut cardstock by K&Company called Flora and Fauna. Only place I was able to find more for a good price was Joanns online. The packet has lots of great pieces that I plan to use a few of in this book. (that’s why I bought more lol) I colored it using paints and some distress ink.

IMG_4925

I painted this chipboard birdcage using assorted acrylic paints. I purchased it from this great little company that hasn’t been out very long. It is a husband and wife team and they have some great things. Check them out here: http://creativeembellishments.com/ When I painted it I forgot to make the birds look like they were inside the cage. Later when I noticed it, I decided I liked it that way. It is a perch rather than a confinement.

IMG_4926

Here you can see my wood mushrooms that I painted with acrylic paint. They are by Prima as is the paper flowers on the page. The other flowers are a faux leather and I do not remember the maker name, I got them at a great discount at Ross or something.

IMG_4927

I added little stickers to the center to make the flowers look complete. They were from a Halloween set by My Minds Eye that I got in the clearance bin at Michaels. The larger leaves were made using a Dylusions stencil and then painted and accented with a marker.