New space

So here I am at my new house and in my new space. Here is a look at what it currently looks like.

new

I have everything out of the boxes and I am in the process of putting things away. The furniture you see in the room is in it’s final place.

Along with my room I have also been unpacking the entire house so it doesn’t leave me tons of time to do a lot of things but I have managed a couple of projects which you can hear about here:

Once I get more settled I will begin doing more projects and videos and showcasing my DecoArt products I received.

Stay tuned!

Documented life week 5

Week five was Under papers and what lies beneath. I don’t put papers on my work surface due to the lack of space at the moment but I do use them behind my pages when working in a book. I did have in my stash of things a paper I had used to try out some foam stamps I had made. It also had some sprays tested on it.

First of all I created this ombre type background using black and grey acrylic paint and some white gesso. I got this idea from my lovely daughter. I chose these colors to offset the colorful nature of the papers I was going to layer on top.

IMG_6809

I tore the papers lengthwise and rearranged them on the page so that they were not next to what they previously had been before. I used soft matte gel in a precision tip Fineline applicator bottle to glue them down. I did not make sure they were down at every little spot.

IMG_6810

I knew I needed something else to go on the page so I rummaged in my stash and found my word stickers. This is the “Just Because” set from Cosmo Cricket. I picked out some that went with what I was feeling for the theme of the week and where the page was going. If you click on this picture below you can get the full sized version where you can zoom in and read all of the stickers used.

IMG_6811

Here is a close-up of a couple of the stickers used. I coated the top and just over the edge with some more of the soft gel, just to make sure they stuck down and to add a bit of gloss to the matte look of the page. You can also see some of the colors that were on the paper I tore up.

IMG_6812

IMG_6814

Hope you like this weeks page. The next one is really yummy! Stayed tuned.

Painted Clothes Pins and Recycled Paper Books

Wow it has been a couple of weeks since I last posted. Amazing how time flies when you least expect it. Today I am sharing a couple of things I have worked on and a shout-out to myself 😉

First up the recycled paper books.
When we moved here in August we had tons of paper from all the breakables and the huge multi-layered sheets they used to wrap up plastic totes. While in the process of clearing out some of those paper sheets in the attic a few months ago, I noticed that one of the layers had some cool texture. So I peeled it out and set it aside. One sheet of this paper was big enough to cover the top of my queen sized bed. A couple of weeks ago I finally used that big paper to make pages for my books. Here you can see the two types of paper I found and saved. Such fun texture!

IMG_5640

I took cardboard food boxes I had saved and measured them to see what size pages would fit in them. Then I proceeded to cut/tear from the large sheets what I needed for each book. After that I set up signatures and test fit them to the covers as seen in this next picture. I was able to make three signatures for each book of 8-10 pages a piece. One book has four signatures. In addition they provide space to add in chunky items or extra signatures.

IMG_5642

I learned a tip somewhere (cannot remember who, might have been Kathy Orta) of using tyvek envelopes as reinforcement for binding signatures. It stops your thread from ripping through the cardboard. This next picture shows the strip of tyvek attached to the cover and lines drawn for where the signatures will be placed. I have pierced holes using an awl type tool and sewn in the first signature using waxed thread. The tyvek was attached using double sided tape.

IMG_5644

Here are all of the books showing the binding and thread. This will be covered up as I decided what to decorate the covers with.

IMG_5651

All the rough bits of edge look awesome. It was fun to use products that would have gone in the recycle bin. I now have six new books I can do art in or add things into like a Smash book. I also have a video on my YouTube channel where I talk about them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT-CxESXo8E

IMG_5652

Next up is my painted clothes pegs. While shopping here and there I kept noticing decorated clothes pins. Some were painted, others had glitter or words on them. My frugal mind said “don’t buy those, you can make them yourself for cheaper”. So I did.

Here they are completed. I painted them then added rub-ons for the numbers. I will be posting a video on my YouTube channel of my process for these once I get it edited. I am going to make more in assorted sizes.

IMG_5732

My shout-out is to please visit my YouTube Channel and subscribe. I’m at 29 subscribers so far and I would like to do a give-away when I reach 100.

Hope you have had a great couple of weeks doing crafty things, I know I have.