Documented Life Week 3

I started off week 3 of the Documented Life Project by using a copy from a book of mandalas. I cut a few of the portions off as I was getting it ready for my page. I originally used some inktense pencils to color the sections and then decided I wanted it bolder. So after attaching it to my gesso’d page, I went over it a bit with more gesso. When I did that it activated some of the inktense and smeared out from the center paper. This is what gave me the idea for what to do next.


After I got the main color on using acrylics, I felt like playing with some water color. I used colors that seem to work between the main ones I chose. I like how the watercolor effect turned out in many places but feel I could have gotten a better result in others.


Here is the finished page to include most of the quote that was posted for the week. I chose to use a piece of white card-stock for the word color so it would be in “black and white”. I used a stamp set from Hampton Art with Stayzon ink for the sentiment.


Here you can see a close view of the lettering. I went over them with a Uniball Signo white gel pen.


Here you can see an area where I liked the way the watercolor ran around.


I also liked the look of the water color under the lettering here.


Thanks for stopping by and I hope you are having a great week!


Busy Bee

Holy cow, school started back up for both of my kids and I haven’t been able to do much of anything lately lol. I have participated in some individual swaps with ladies I have met through the Facebook Krazy Island Family group. A couple of them wanted to trade napkins and also some braille paper. Both of these items can be used in layering for mixed media projects. A few days ago I went to visit a Goodwill to see if they had anything fun. Usually I go and end up disappointed because there isn’t anything art related like I see other people find. This time I did find something.


The large item in the back is 18 x 24 inch vellum paper used in drafting. There is six sheets in the package and I thought they would do nicely in a junk journal. The art set was only missing the plastic tray and two of the brushes. The watercolor paints and paper pack had never been used. The pack of index cards are pre-printed with job contact info, project steps etc. These will be going into junk journals and also ephemera trades. The pack has three different colors. Next to that is a small blue dish. I think it may have been part of a candle holder set or something. I didn’t see anything for it to go in and they had it individually priced so I got it to add to my blue glass collection. Next to that was another item that wasn’t with the rest of what it should have been with. I do believe these are square lids for containers. They are made of glass and they have a plastic “gasket” to seal in freshness. They had these taped in sets of three so I nabbed a pack. I am going to use them as mixing dishes for paint etc. Finally I found a nice old dictionary that has the thin paper pages. My total for all of these items with tax was $13.00, not a bad deal.

I think it has been long enough that I can show my ATC’s I made for a swap. Here you see them all completed.


This image shows a close up of the coral and shell along with the sand. The images came from napkins I cut up. I mod-podged them to the card. After they were dry I went back and added some white dimensional paint to the coral. I also added a little bit of sand using liquid glass as glue.


This image gives you a better look at the little cloud. I made this by wiping away gelato through a stencil. Then I added the grey from an inktense pencil.


I did have a surgery on my jaw a few weeks ago. It has healed well. Time will tell as the swelling goes away if it has improved my issue. That’s about it for me lol.

Hope you are having a great week so far! Here is a link to a free printable for some collage bits and tags

New Page in my Moleskine

I was feeling a bit inspired after creating my newest batch of ATC’s. I cannot show those yet as I have to put them in the mail today and I don’t want to spoil the surprise for the people getting them. They inspired me to create a new journal page.

To start the page I put down a piece of masking tape in the center. This stops color from seeping through to other pages. Next I covered the pages with gesso. I created the background using Faber Castell Gelatos. I rubbed them around the page using a baby wipe. Once I got the colors how I liked I used a cloud stencil and rubbed the page clean of color through it. A really neat way to make clouds. I got out some molding paste and dabbed it here and there in the water to create the appearance of some small waves coming to shore. The added texture is really fun. The seashells are cut from a napkin then attached to some cream card-stock using gel medium. I then fussy cut them and added a little shading using my new Derwent Inktense pencils. The final step was to put some Aleen’s Paper Glaze over them. I got this far on it and felt a little stumped on what to add to it. I posted the picture to the KIF Facebook group for some creative suggestions.


After reading the suggestions I dug through my sticker stash and found some things that would go perfect on the page. I added a beach chair, sand castle and two birds, along with some shading here and there. I like how well they go with the page and aren’t weird looking because of being stickers. The stickers are from Creative Memories and I have had them for at least ten years. I also found some summer/beach quotes in my stash. This one seemed to fit perfect with the layout. I used some Liquid Pearl around the edge. If you click on the image you can really zoom in to read the quote and see the details.


Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and a great start to the week.